OTTAWA, Ont.--The Honourable Denis Lebel, Minister of Infrastructure, Communities and Intergovernmental Affairs and Minister of the Economic Development Agency of Canada for the Regions of Quebec, welcomed Jacques Cartier and Champlain Bridges Inc. (JCCBI)’s announcement regarding the re-opening of the Champlain Bridge’s third lane toward the South Shore.
“I am pleased that JCCBI has completed the lane reconfiguration following the installation of the support beam. Three lanes leading to the South Shore will be open to traffic during evening rush hour,” said Minister Lebel. “I want to sincerely thank all bridge users for their patience, as well as JCCBI, the Government of Quebec and all partners for their collaboration to help alleviate traffic and reduce commuting delays during the lane closure.”
Earlier this month, one lane of the Champlain Bridge leading to the South Shore was closed after a crack was detected on one of the bridge’s beams. Following inspections and studies, JCCBI installed a support beam to address the crack.
The Champlain Bridge is subject to ongoing monitoring and the Government of Canada said it is making no compromises with the safety of Canadians. A new bridge for the St. Lawrence is a priority for the Government of Canada.
“In the New Year, we will continue to provide regular updates on the new bridge for the St. Lawrence project, including a detailed timeline for the construction of the new bridge,” continued Minister Lebel. “The new bridge will be in service in 2018.”
On October 5, 2011, the Government of Canada announced that it would be building a new bridge to replace the Champlain Bridge. This bridge is one of the busiest in Canada, with $20 billion worth of international trade crossing it every year. The Champlain Bridge is a crucial corridor for the regional economy and for Canada as a whole. The project also meets the objectives of Canada’s gateway strategies.